OverviewGeita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria.
The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam.
Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Career Opportunities: Specialist Underground Infrastructure Engineer (15877)
Requisition ID 15877 – Posted 05/24/2021 – Tanzania
The Underground infrastructure engineer is responsible for overseeing and coordinating all engineering infrastructure activities and plans relating to engineering services required for underground mining operations at Geita Gold mine Tanzania. The role provides direct output in the design and project management of all infrastructure to support Life of Mine production plans. This includes managing, overseeing and monitoring all dewatering, compressed air and ventilation systems and infrastructure. As the responsible Engineer, this role is accountable to new build activities, infrastructure construction works, managing EPCM contractor and subcontractors to ensure works are undertaken in-line with health, safety and environmental obligations, design specifications, quality, project budget and schedule. The position is a key senior leadership team role, and requires extensive multi-disciplined infrastructure and construction experience, outstanding coordination, communication, management, and stakeholder engagement skills.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
Minimum Relevant Experience Required
- 10 – 15 plus years post-graduation on underground engineering infrastructure
- 5-10 plus years of mechanical design and the implementation and execution of engineering infrastructure projects relating to turbomachinery.
- Managed and directed project construction activities.
- Computer skills – spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel), word processing (MS Project) and database (MS Access)
The following skills and experience will be highly considered for applicants for the position:
- Construction (plan, direct and manage) experience.
- Hazardous area design training and design experience.
- Functional safety training and certification
- AutoCAD drafting capability will be advantageous.
- Flow modelling software experience such as Pumpsim and VentsimTechnical Competencies Required
- Experience in managing engineering infrastructure in underground mining operation.
- Experience in specifications and standards to ensure that operations and project meets requirements in terms of safety, design, quality and maintainability.
- Experienced in the practical application of construction principles, equipment and technology. This includes applying construction principles, techniques, procedures, equipment and resources to the execution and closing of projects
- Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether construction events or processes comply with laws, regulations, and company standards.
- Knowledge of mechanical designs and its application in underground mining servicesLeadership Competencies Required (If any)
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with AngloGold Ashanti Values.
- Ability to build relationships with key personnel and identifying and developing business opportunities.
- Team based focus with a proactive approach to meeting LoM infrastructure requirements.
- Proven ability to organise and prioritise tasks and working under pressure to achieve set deadlines.
- Ensure the quality of deliverables align with the needs of the project, the company and the client
Health, Safety and Environment
- Adhere and promote HSE regulations at GGM with zero tolerance to breaches
- Demonstrate behaviour consistent with AGA’s vision and values. Lead by example at all times to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed to ensure tasks are performed without the risk of injury or harm to themselves, others and the environment.
- Continuously seek learning opportunities to improve safety performance.
- Ensure operational, project and construction workforce targets are achieved
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation and applicable codes
- Ensure compliance to AGA/GGM and industry standards
- Ensure compliance to Quality, HSE and Human Resources (HR) management systems, policies, procedures and processes.
- Develop an asset management (engineering) plan for all major underground infrastructure including rollout and integration of the Asset Management Framework, in a collaborative approach with the Reliability Engineering
- Conduct internal audits and over-inspections to ensure adherence and compliance to asset management plans/strategy
- Setup and manage the infrastructure engineering document repository for drawings and manuals
- Review and/or Set the Service strategy for all underground infrastructure equipment leading to the implementing a maintenance philosophy and scheduled maintenance programs that are aligned with operations to achieve set targets/plans, and substantially increase availability and reliability
- Effective planning and use of engineering capital for maintain asset integrity and other improvements. Put in place the necessary plans and monitoring process to anticipate issues rather than being overtaken by them.
- Effective use of resources including money and equipment. Monitoring the stock levels of critical spares and supplies.
- Manage, oversee and monitor all service infrastructure to support day-to-day underground mining activities.
- Ensure compliance with all engineering standards in underground operations on the mine
- Monitor (assess, record, feedback) equipment performance to ensure continuous improvement.
- Prepare engineering designs, modifications, installations and projects in underground operations on the mine.
- Support the Mining team in Life of Mine planning by providing early input into the design and constructability process for all new build infrastructure
- Develop conceptual designs, cost estimates and project schedules for all new infrastructure and upgrades to support Life of Mine strategic plans
- Proactively manage and lead underground infrastructure projects and engineering construction functions, with a strong safety, cost, schedule, and quality focus ensuring safe constructability remains a priority. This includes but not limited to HAZID’s and HAZOP’s, cost and schedule development and ongoing review.
- Manage, oversee and monitor all service infrastructure to support day-to-day underground mining activities
- Co-ordinate all engineering maintenance activities to ensure reliability of equipment
- Advise and guide the management team on best practice and fit for purpose engineering infrastructure outcomes.
- Strong understanding of Quality, and HSE management systems.
- Drive and champion the safety-first value and apply the principle into both design and field activities.
- Key interface role, ensuring the effective management and performance of the engineering services and all other underground infrastructure project activities.
- Ensure project management activities meet the approved design specification.
- Actively manage priorities in a dynamic environment, with emphasis on safely, meeting defined budgets and timeframes.
Engineering Infrastructure Capital & Projects
- To serve as the underground engineering infrastructure representative on all capital projects and represent the proposed capital projects on Geita Standards Committee
- To set up and maintain the underground engineering infrastructure capital management process in conjunction with the GGM Capital Projects Champion.
- To co-ordinate plan, manage and execute underground engineering infrastructure projects in all GGM underground operations
- To manage both Asset Integrity (AI) and Stay In Business (SIB) capital for all underground engineering infrastructure
Plans, Procedures, Standards and Documentation
- Develop and maintain the Life of Mine underground infrastructure plans, specifically infrastructure new builds and other infrastructure project construction activities, as a key sub- plan to overall underground Mining Plan.
- Provide input and support into establishing and maintaining the project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs.
- Oversee the project Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process.
- Provide input into HSE plan.
- Provide input into crane lift studies.
Review and input into project contractor procurement process.
- Technical Training & Development.
- Conduct engineering development panel interviews
- Develop skills matrices for all engineering infrastructure work types
- Identify training and development shortcomings and training needs
- Develop artisan refresher programs
Meetings, Reviews and Communication
- Attend and chair Life of Mine Infrastructure Planning meetings as well as other key review meetings, as required.
- Co-ordinate and chair regular project management meetings and maintain meeting records and agreed actions. Follow through to ensure actions are completed for all underground engineering infrastructure projects.
- Provide regular operational and project updates to the management team in relation to progress and construction issues that may impact on compliance or cause delays.
- Provide operational readiness interface in line with AGA project requirements.
- Participate in formal HSE, risk management, change management, cost and schedule reviews
Progress and Performance Reporting
- Monitor progress of construction works, advise status in a timely manner to the management team of any potential cost, schedule or quality variances.
- Monitor (assess, record and feedback) operational performance of engineering services and contractor performance in the delivery of project outcomes.
- GGM MD, Engineering Manager, Underground Mining Manager, Technical Services Manager
- GGM Project Services Team to record, analyse and report on progress and productivity, change management, cost and schedule.
- Africa Technical Team to support potential operational/design issues that may occur on-site
- EPCM and Third-Party Contractors.
Audit, Governance and Compliance
Participate in internal and external audits as required.
Project Risk Change and Quality Management
Identify and address construction risks early by communicating to appropriate stakeholders.
Coordinate the project change management process, including Site Instructions, Variations and or claims.
Proactively manage change to avoid potential project cost and schedule overruns
Inspect works to ensure construction activities are in accordance with engineering designsMODE OF APPLICATION