RTI International is the prime implementor of the USAID Jifunze Uelewe activity focused on sustainably improving literacy and numeracy outcomes of “all learners” from pre-primary through Standard 4 in five regions of Tanzania. For the purpose of this program, “all learners” includes, but is not limited to, marginalized and vulnerable girls and boys, learners with disabilities, minority and linguistic minority groups, urban and rural learners, learners affected by crisis or conflict, and those living in poverty.
MONITORING & EVALUATION LEARNING OFFICER
Position Location: Zanzibar, Mtwara, Iringa, Ruvuma and Morogoro
The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning officer is responsible at the regional level for building the capacity of GoT counterparts in evidence based planning and budgeting using data from the School Information System (SIS) and the Decentralized Periodic Learning Assessment (DPLA) as well as to gather and report data necessary for measuring success of Jifunze Uelewe.
- Regional Lead for Outcome 2: Strengthened capacity of local and regional governments to sustain improved learning outcomes.
- Build the capacity of the Regional Secretariat (RS) to plan and deliver regional activities, based on monthly implementation plans using DePLA, SIS, and other data sources.
- Build the capacity of Regional and Local Government Authority (LGA) Education offices to use SIS and DPLA data to set and communicate expectations for school performance.
- Strengthen the capacity of Regional and LGA Education offices to assess and document the annual material replacement needs.
- Build the capacity of Regional and LGA Education offices in identifying the needs of LGAs and schools and allocating resources (particularly additional training, coaching support and extra learning opportunities for pupils) based on core functions (setting expectations; monitoring against expectations, allocate resources based on the gap)
- Collaborate with Regional and LGA Education offices to collect program data to report against performance indicators including participating in studies and evaluations conducted by the program.
- Collaborate with Regional and LGA Education offices in managing and updating a regional continuous professional development (CPD) database.
- Contribute in writing program quartely and annual reporting.
- More generally: provide administrative and logistics support to the implementation of regional activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least 10 years of experience in data collection and evaluation activities, particularly in school or community settings. Or Master’s degree with 6 years’ experience.
- Ability to analyze data using one or more statistical packages. knowledge of Statistical Packages (Excel, STATA, SPSS) and advanced statistics with strong attention to detail and accuracy is essential.
- Ability to maintain accurate/precise records, to perform detailed work and to handle large volume of work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Should be able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Courtesy, tact and the ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to train others on the use of data collection tools.
- Knowledge in collecting data using mobile technology.
- Communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment and diplomatically manage collegial relationships.
- Support and respond to program’s data needs as quickly as possible to support evidence-based decision making.
- Work productively in a team environment and the ability to meet unexpected demands.
- Pay attention to details and set priorities.
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Ethics Notice: No one at RTI may ever demand payment for anything of value in exchange for anything related to the hiring process (including, for example, for applying for, interviewing for, or receiving any offer of employment). If any such request is made, please report this request confidentially to RTI’s Ethics office at HRethics@rti.org. Any payment made will disqualify any applicant from future employment at RTI. Please only use the HRethics@rti.org email address to report ethics concerns; any job applications sent to this email address will not be processed.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.