Program Specialist 3 (School & Community Inclusive Education Specialist)
RTI International is the prime implementor of the USAID Jifunze Uelewe Program. The 4 year program will assist the Ministry of Education focusing on sustainably improving literacy and numeracy outcomes of “all learners” from pre-primary through Standard 4 in five regions of Tanzania. For the purpose of this program, “all learners” includes, but is not limited to, marginalized and vulnerable girls and boys, learners with disabilities, minority and linguistic minority groups, urban and rural learners, learners affected by crisis or conflict, and those living in poverty”.
Position: SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY INCLUSIVE EDUCATION SPECIALIST
Position Location: Mtwara, Iringa, Ruvuma
The School and Community Inclusive Education Specialist is responsible at the regional level for building the capacity of GoT counterparts to plan and implement inclusion and community engagement activities.
- Regional Lead for Outcome 3: Increased community support for safe and inclusive learning environments (in and outside of the school)
- Coordinate with the Teaching and Learning Specialist (TLS) to build the capacity of Regional and Local Government Authority (LGA) staff to support classroom-based inclusion activities – including training, teacher-support and materials.
- Where appropriate support eKitabu with respect to special needs schools
- Build the capacity of Regional and LGA staff to develop sustainable strategies for school-based screening for children with mild to moderate disabilities and associated referral services
- Build the capacity of Regional and LGA staff to develop sustainable strategies for Parent Teacher Partnership (PTP) support for safe and inclusive schools.
- Build the capacity of Regional and LGA staff to develop sustainable strategies for community support for safe and inclusive schools, with Parent Teacher Partnership (PTP) action plans incorporating welcoming school concepts.
- In collaboration with the TLS and with Regional and LGA offices, facilitate Ubongo delivery of reading content to communities.
- In collaboration with the TLS and MEL officer build the capacity of Regional and LGA staff in documenting and communicating program success, lessons learnt and best practices.
- In collaboration with the TLS, MEL officer, and the Regional and LGA education offices, participate in collecting and sharing learning data to inform the program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, social work or related field with 10 years of experience in inclusive education and/or community engagement. Or Master’s Degree with 6 years’ experience.
- Experience in coordination and facilitation roles of large donor-funded grants and/or contracts (such as bilateral or multilateral donors).
- Experience working to create an inclusive learning environment through special needs teaching, inclusive education, and/or providing community mobilization direction and capacity building for improved educational outcomes.
- Experience in early grade reading, writing, and arithmetic programs preferred.
- Computer skills and mastery of Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili languages.
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Ethics Notice: No one at RTI may ever demand payment for anything of value in exchange for anything related to the hiring process (including, for example, for applying for, interviewing for, or receiving any offer of employment). If any such request is made, please report this request confidentially to RTI’s Ethics office at HRethics@rti.org. Any payment made will disqualify any applicant from future employment at RTI. Please only use the HRethics@rti.org email address to report ethics concerns; any job applications sent to this email address will not be processed.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.