Senior Driver (Operations Assistant)
RTI International is the prime implementor of the USAID Jifunze Uelewe Program. The 4 year program will assist the Ministry of Education focusing on sustainably improving literacy and numeracy outcomes of “all learners” from pre-primary through Standard 4 in five regions of Tanzania. For the purpose of this program, “all learners” includes, but is not limited to, marginalized and vulnerable girls and boys, learners with disabilities, minority and linguistic minority groups, urban and rural learners, learners affected by crisis or conflict, and those living in poverty”.
Position: DRIVER CUM LOGISTICS ASSISTANT
Position Location: Mtwara, Iringa, Ruvuma, Dodoma, Dar es Salaam, Morogoro & Zanzibar
The Driver Cum Logistics Assistant will provide operational and logistical support to ensure the smooth implementation of Regional Office activities.
- Drive project/office staff members, consultants and other visitors on project/office business. Maintain complete records of vehicle usage, adhere to Government traffics rules and regulations, and report any issues to the supervisor.
- Conduct regular inspection of vehicle to establish that it is clean, roadworthy, secured, licensed, insured and inspected if required, and all the necessary documentations is retained in the motor vehicle files.
- Arrange for repairs and regularly scheduled maintenance of the vehicle as per manufacturer’s suggested schedule in liaison with the Office Manager and submission of the costs for approvals.
- Ensure strict adherence to the rules and regulations provided for in the Vehicle management policy.
- Manage and monitor fuel cards for the Regional Office vehicles, ensure fuel replenishment summary is done in a timely manner and accurate records maintained in liaison with the Office Manager.
- Provide monthly reports on vehicle mileage, fuel consumption, repairs, maintenance and keeping an updated vehicle folder and other related logistics files.
- Provide banking and statutory submissions services in liaison with the Finance department.
- Manage and follow up with vendors on the monthly logistics related invoices, providing supporting documentation, preparing the summaries and submission to Office Manager for review, approval and processing by the Finance department.
- Assist the Office manager in the management and facilitation of internal and offsite events and meetings for the Office and Project as need arises.
- Provide back up Office Manager in providing travel support to RTI’s staff and consultants, arrange airport transfers, air travel bookings, hotel accommodation, TARFs and per diem as required.
- Assist the Office Manager in providing support and guidance on visa requirements and application process to travelers.
- Assist the Office Manager in booking, tracking international shipments, process IDFs and provide updates as required.
- Receive and record all materials delivered to RTI International stores
- Work with various key staff in coordinating distribution of materials from the store
- Clean and organize assigned store.
- Conduct inventory and prepare reports on monthly basis.
Building repairs and maintenance
- Conduct daily building inspection to identify any repair issue.
- Report any identified repair issues and ensure that it is fixed within three working days.
- Work with the repairmen and verify once the work is completed.
- Record LUKU usage daily and purchase units at the required minimum threshold.
- Ensure availability of water in the building at all times.
- Ensure that there is power at all times and coordinate generator back up in case of power cuts.
- Assists to oversee the use and maintenance of the office equipment including the photocopier, fax, binding machine to ensure that they are in working order and arrange with the Office Manager/IT Manager for their repair and maintenance.
- Work with the repairmen to ensure all repairs and maintenance issues in the building are addressed as soon as possible.
Cleanliness of the building
- Ensure the assigned area is clean and organized at all times as may be assigned from time to time.
- Ensure the stores are clean and organized at all times.
- Coordinate cleaning by the care takers twice a week as per the contract.
- Provide back up to other Admin staff when out of office.
- Perform other work-related tasks as required.
- Secondary school education with Valid & Clean Driver’s license;
- Vocational training on Basic Vehicle Maintenance skills is an added advantage
- Very good knowledge of driving rules, regulations and courtesies.
Skills & Abilities
- At least 3 years of professional experience with strong recommendations from previous supervisors.
- Experience in office administration, logistics management, and event/meeting coordination.
- Hard-worker with good interpersonal skills and high-level of integrity.
- Respectful and tolerant; able to work well in a diverse team.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to answer most inquiries and questions independently and follow up on requests in an efficient manner.
- Ability to multi-task and work well with others.
- Fluent speaker of local language. Basic English fluency is preferred.
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Ethics Notice: No one at RTI may ever demand payment for anything of value in exchange for anything related to the hiring process (including, for example, for applying for, interviewing for, or receiving any offer of employment). If any such request is made, please report this request confidentially to RTI’s Ethics office at HRethics@rti.org. Any payment made will disqualify any applicant from future employment at RTI. Please only use the HRethics@rti.org email address to report ethics concerns; any job applications sent to this email address will not be processed.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.