Nominations are now open for the Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Award to supports sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy, and diplomacy.
TWAS is inviting nominations for the 2021 Award from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
TWAS was foun ded in 1983 by a distinguished group of scientists from the developing world, under the leadership of Abdus Salam, the Pakistani physicist and Nobel laureate.
They shared a belief that developing nations, by building strength in science and engineering, could build the knowledge and skill to address such challenges as hunger, disease and poverty.
From the start, the Academy had essential support from Italian scientists and political leaders.
- Clean and renewable energy
- Green chemistry
- Sustainable agriculture and agro biodiversity
- Plastic: degradation, pollution and micro plastics
- Water purification and sanitation
- Climate change: environmental effects, methane contribution, carbon capture
- Transportation technologies: efficiency for smart cities
- Waste management
- Biodiversity: the sixth mass extinction, ecosystem services, habitat recovery and restoration
- Ecological economics and planetary health
- This annual award, named after the TWAS Fellow Samira Omar, recognizes scientists from Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
- It carries a cash award of USD4,000 generously provided by Professor Omar.
- The 2021 award will honour a woman scientist working in an area relevant to sustainability.
- The 2021 award will be awarded to a woman scientist national of a Least Developing Country (LDC), living and working in a LDC during the last two years immediately prior to their nomination, based on scientific achievements.
- Self-nominations and nominations from jury members will not be considered.
- Fellows of TWAS are not eligible.
- The same nominee cannot be nominated for more than one ‘Fellows of TWAS Awards’ in a given year. The secretariat retains the right to bring to the attention of the relevant nominators that the nomination may be suitable for another award, and the final decision whether or not to shift the nomination will be taken by the nominators themselves.
For more information, visit https://twas.org/opportunity/twas-samira-omar-innovation-sustainability-award