The Sustainable Ocean Alliance is seeking applications for its Ocean Solutions Microgrants Program to drive ocean innovation, strengthen youth involvement in the ocean sector, increase ocean literacy, and identify financially stable ocean conservation models.
- Grants range from $500 to $2,000 USD.
- Grants are typically disbursed in two installments.
- Grants are reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis; the sooner an application is received the sooner it will be funded. All grants will be awarded by mid-June.
What kind of Projects gets funded?
- They evaluate projects based on their alignment with their mission, the degree of their impact (taking into account the scientific soundness) and their sustainability in consideration to their feasibility, replicability, community mapping/engagement, and budget.
- They want to support projects that are going to ‘live on’, either through sustained community engagement, or by creating a vehicle for the project to be implemented elsewhere/again.
- That is why they require that all applicants become Ocean Leaders; so that SOA and their network of Hubs, Mentors, and Regional Representatives can help ensure a project’s sustainability.
- The project leader who completes the application must be between 18-35 at the time of submitting the application.
- The applicant must be proficient in English in order to clearly articulate their project in the application and to understand and complete the reporting requirements.
- The majority of key activities, as proposed, must take place in 2021.
- All local Covid-19 guidelines must be followed and, to the degree possible, anticipated in the project budget and activities.
- The primary project objective must have a clear and demonstrable connection to improving ocean health and sustainability.
- Anyone under 35 with an idea or current project benefitting ocean health can apply. You don’t have to be an Ocean Leader or Hub member to apply, but if selected you will need to complete the Ocean Leader onboarding course.
- Select grantees will be invited to attend the Ocean Leadership Deep Dive: Community Leadership, a virtual training taking place in October 2021, to broaden your leadership skillset and amplify your impact through further project funding.
- All grantees will have the opportunity to receive 1:1 mentorship and access to the educational resources of their network.
For more information, visit https://www.soalliance.org/leadership/ocean-solutions-microgrants