Data Engineer, Data.FI TanzaniaTanzania, United Republic of | req11119
Data Engineer, Data.FI Tanzania
Palladium develops and delivers innovative, locally relevant, evidence-based solutions to improve the health and well-being of people around the world. Since 1971, we have assisted governmental and non-governmental agencies, foundations, and the private sector by designing, implementing, and evaluating programs in HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, population and family planning, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, and gender. Palladium has deep expertise in policy and advocacy, research and strategic information, health markets and private sector engagement, modeling and economic analysis, patient monitoring and management, HMIS, strategic consulting, and program management.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Palladium is currently seeking a Data Engineer, Tanzania to support implementation of the Translating Data for Implementation (Data.FI) award. Data.FI is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Data.FI partners with PEPFAR programs to accelerate and sustain access to high-quality data to expedite HIV and COVID-19 epidemic control and maintenance. Data.FI supports host country governments to enhance existing health information systems (HIS) and conduct in-depth analysis of epidemiologic and program data to inform management responses to gaps in programming and sustain impact by supporting local partner transition.
In Tanzania, Data.FI will support the government (PORALG) and USAID to strengthen and expand the application of the Makole Model as a change management approach to improve productivity and the quality of services at health facilities. The model combines data from existing quality improvement and quality assurance (QI/QA) platforms with data from other systems to improve institutional performance and health outcomes. Data.FI will support data management and use and will be guided by a technical advisory group composed of experts from USAID, PORALG and UNICEF.
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Sr. Systems Architect, this position is responsible for the execution of developing APIs to connect data, developing ETLs, data ingestion, mapping, deduplication, data modelling, data analysis, and reporting tasks in line with work plan and team objectives, develops specific data products and solutions assigned in adherence to the business and functional requirements, quality and timelines set, works closely with a team of individuals from data use, data visualization, project management, software development, quality assurance, business analysts and solutions architects.
This position is based in Dar Es Salaam or Dodoma, TBD. The initial position term is 6 months, with an extension for up to 3 years, depending on funding.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the quality of data across the core systems and respective data marts.
- Support data modelling and data mart development.
- Synthesis of requirements, identification and analysis of data sources for mapping and performing data quality tests to support source system mapping exercise.
- Define and arbitrate the transformation rules per source system and develop ETLs to populate respective data marts.
- Perform data profiling functions and interrogation queries against source systems and verify data marts after ETL processes.
- Work closely with the data use teams in developing data products for the larger stakeholder groups.
- Align with QA approaches established within the software development process to resolve data quality, inconsistency and integrity issues.
- Maintain data dictionaries/metadata of the source systems and respective data marts.
- Utilize tools like Jira and Confluence for team collaboration, technical documentation and project management, and shared code repositories like GitHub or Bit Bucket for distributed code development.
- Perform duties and tasks as assigned by Sr. Architect, HIS Solutions & Interoperability.
- BSc. in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience developing digital information systems.
- Familiarity with open-source global goods, including demonstrated experience using DHIS2.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Proven working experience with Microsoft SQL Server or PostgreSQL
- Experience in NoSQL databases is an added advantage.
- Proven experience developing web applications.
- Demonstrated proficiency of one or more back-end languages such as C#, Java, Python etc.
- Experience working with Health Information Exchange standards is an added advantage.
- Experience in implementing a data warehouse is an added advantage.
- Ability to take direction to iteratively define and implement the solution as requirements are being identified and finalized.
- Demonstrated experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team in a fast fast-paced, technically challenging environment.
- Experience using software projects using tools to facilitate the DevOps process such as Trello, Jira, or Microsoft DevOps.
- Ability to travel 30% within Tanzania.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in Swahili preferred
Palladium is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to a selection process due to disability or any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavor to make any reasonable adjustments to our process.