Deadline: May 31, 2021
The UNESCO Call for East African Youth Proposals: African World Heritage Day 2021 is now open. In Celebration of African World Heritage Day on 5 May 2021, and in the framework of the African Union Year 2021 for “Arts, Culture and Heritage: Levers for Building the Africa We Want”, UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa in partnership with UNESCO National Commissions in the region and the African World Heritage Fund are launching an open competition for youth.
The call invites youth in all 13 countries covered by the UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa (Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda) to develop a project proposal for raising awareness and engagement of youth in the protection and promotion of African World Heritage.
All proposals must include a detailed budget breakdown indicating the estimated costs for all activities in USD for a total amount up to $5,000 USD.
- Proposals may be submitted by an individual or group of individuals, aged 18 to 35 years;
- Must be from one of the following countries: Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda;
- Proposals may focus on raising awareness and/or engagement among youth for one World Heritage site in Africa, all World Heritage sites in a specific country or the Eastern Africa region, or may also focus on the entire Africa region. Proposals may also focus on Tentative List sites or the UNESCO 1972 World Heritage Convention.
- The proposed activity(ies) must be feasible to carry out between July 1 and November 15, 2021.
- All proposed activities must respect national and World Health Organization (WHO) health guidelines and prevention measures for the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as national security and legal guidelines.
- Moreover, all proposals must respect human rights and promote respect for cultural diversity.
The deadline for submission of proposals is May 31, 2021. Proposals must be submitted in Word or PDF format by e-mail to the following address AWHDayEA@unesco.org.
For more information, visit UNESCO.