National Individual Consultant: Rapid Pro/DHIS2 Consultant
Job no: 539388
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Health, Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up
For every child, health.
UNICEF is committed to support the Government of Tanzania in implementing National Digital Health Strategy 2019-2024. As an organization who applies multisectoral programmatic and integrated approach for supporting children and vulnerable population in the country, UNICEF will support government’s initiatives especially on which focuses promoting data-use for public health decision making at all administrative levels. UNICEF’s position in supporting the implementation of the national strategy is to support government counterparts in their successful establishment and operationalization of new governance structure (Strategic Priority #1), which is proposed in the strategy, and promoting and facilitating further effective data use for decision making (Strategic Priority #6)). UNICEF is not able to propose development of specific patient management systems to the Government. Rather, UNICEF will support the Government on how to effectively use the available data which is collected within the Government-owned systems. To complete our indicated role, it requires some technical skills in programming (including coding systems), and other computing sciences in addition to public health programmatic perspectives. The consultant will be expected to complement the skills that UNICEF programme sections already have with these highly technical programing skills
How can you make a difference?
The general objective of the consultancy will be to ensure UNICEF’s support on reprograming of the digital health to fit for purposes and contexts, and Government’s directions.
MAIN OBJECTIVES, TASKS, DELIVERABLES AND TIME FRAME
The main objectives of the consultant will be as follows;
To support UNICEF Tanzania Programme sections, particularly Health and Innovation section, to provide technically sound support to the Government counterparts in an area of health information systems strengthening.
To support UNICEF Tanzania Programme sections, particularly Health and Innovation section, to better design mHealth to substantially contribute to a reduction in maternal, neonatal, and postnatal mortality. Promoting health seeking behaviors in pregnant women and new mothers and ensure an alignment of what UNICEF investments and Governments’ initiatives.
To support UNICEF Tanzania Programme sections, particularly Health and Innovation section, in reprogram and deployment of Mama na Mwana system and Systematically and consistently gathering feedback on the quality of RMNCH care experienced by prospective and new mothers through MnM system. Facilitating evidence-based decision making.
The consultant is expected to support UNICEF programme sections, especially Health and Innovation section, from technical perspectives by applying her/his technical skills and experiences. More specifically, s/he will;
1) Provide technical support on Reviewing data flow to accommodate reestablishing and redesigning of a Mama na Mwana system in close collaboration with Health and Innovation team’s;
2) Migrate all old data flows, contacts, messages, campaigns etc. of the current system, including partner modules, to the upgraded RapidPro platform;
3) Connect to DHIS2 and rapid pro and develop dashboards for selected indicators;
4) Develop data visualization products such including dashboards, Score cards, graphs etc. for selected indicators using available information to best represent information for UNICEF decision-making;
5) Develop documentation based on the design and architecture of the redesigned
6) Manage dashboard updates and troubleshooting, administer, and maintain Mama na Mwana System;
|#||Deliverables||Expected Date (*)||% of Total Contract|
|1||Designed Architecture, schematics, prototypes of the proposed solution; – Documentation based on the designed architecture of the application; (To support UNICEF Tanzania Programme sections, particularly Health and Innovation section, to provide technically sound support to the Government counterparts in an area of health Information systems strengthening)||End of June 2021 (16 days)||20%|
|2||A fully migrated application containing information such as contacts, flows, messages, campaigns of the current system (Migrate all old data flows, contacts, messages, campaigns etc. of the current system, including partner modules, to the upgraded RapidPro platform)||End of July 2021 (8 days)||10%|
|3||Visual products such as dashboards, score cards containing charts, tables, and figures (Develop data visualization products such including dashboards, Score cards, graphs etc. for selected indicators using available information to best represent information for UNICEF decision making)||End of Dec 2021 (20 days)||25%|
|4||A well-integrated DHIS2 and rapid pro application with dashboards for selected indicators (Connect to DHIS2 and rapid pro and develop dashboards for selected indicators)||End of Sept 2021 (20 days)||25%|
|5||Relevant documentations for the new platform||End of Jan 2022 (8 days)||10%|
|6||Manage dashboard updates and troubleshooting, administer, and maintain Mama na Mwana System||Routine basis (8 days cumulatively)||10%|
*Expected date of completion would be highly affected by COVID-19 pandemic situation. This will be adjusted and updated regularly depending on the COVID-19 situation and Government’s approvals by having regular consultation between the consultant and supervisors.
Payments will be made upon submission and acceptance of the specified deliverables in the table above under section TASKS, DELIVERABLE AND TIME FRAME. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold all or a portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/output is incomplete, not delivered or for failure to meet deadlines
To qualify as an advocate for every child you are required to have the following:
Academic Qualifications/Education and Licensing Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, Business Administration, mathematics, engineering, or related area. Masters will be an added advantage.
• Experience in IT or database administration a plus
• Experience in: Multiple OS platforms with strong emphasis on Linux (CentOS, Red Hat, Ubuntu), Mac OS X, and Windows systems
• Experience working in a research/projects environment that relies extensively on Open- Source solutions
• Knowledge and experience of using RapidSMS, RapidPro and DHIS2 is an asset.
• Experience working with MNOs and aggregators.
• Experience in setting up and managing SMS gateway and integration with MNOs.
• Experience in Software design, documentation, testing, and maintenance
• Hardware requirements experience
• Data management and programming skills
• Proven skills in communication, networking systematic thinking and ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas
• Fluency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili
Employment experience – 5 years progressively responsible professional work experience at national level in software developments especially with mobile and SMS based information systems.
A suitable candidate should have experience in the following areas;
• Implements computer system requirements by defining and analyzing system problems; designing and testing standards and solutions.
• Defines application problem by conferring with clients; evaluating procedures and processes.
• Develops solution by preparing and evaluating alternative workflow solutions.
• Controls solution by interpreting specifications and coordinating production with programmers.
• Validates results by testing programs.
• Ensures operation by training client personnel and providing support.
• Provides reference by writing documentation.
• Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed
• Experience with desktop and web/application development using various technologies, implementing business logic, maintaining software applications, documentation and generating APIs.
• Good working knowledge of major relational database management systems, advanced design skills and development of scalable, modular, extensible applications with open APIs.
• Experience in Teamwork and team building
• Experience in general consulting skills
The consultant will work under the guidance of Health Specialist (Data and research). In addition, to perform the expected tasks, the consultant will be required to work closely with various Government counterparts, development partners and implementing partners.
The consultant will be tasked to communicate with relevant stakeholders as UNICEF representative as necessary to complete her/his tasks. S/he will be requested to regularly update the progress status to UNICEF team members by oral or written as appropriate.
Medical Evacuation Coverage:
The consultant will be required to submit the proof of medical/Health Insurance with medical evacuation coverage.
ASSESSMENT /SELECTION PROCESS AND METHOD
Interested consultant will be assessed on the basis of a technical and financial proposal. The financial proposal should be prepared in TZS and inclusive of all cost including travel and accommodation and contain a breakdown for each component of the proposed work deliverables, based on an estimate of time taken, which needs to be stated. The budget narrative must explain the assumptions behind all cost estimates.
SUPERVISION AND WORKING CONDITION
The Consultant will work under the supervision of the Health Specialist (Data and research), in
close collaboration with the Chief Health, Health Manager (PHC), and Knowledge management
• Transport will be provided to the consultant during field travel;
• No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both UNICEF and the consultant;
• No travel should take place without an email travel authorization from the section prior to the
commencement of the journey;
• Additional details of UNICEF rules, regulations and conditions will be attached to the contract.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies;
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Builds and maintains partnerships, demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness, innovates and embraces change, drive to achieve results for impact, manages ambiguity and complexity, thinks and acts strategically, work Collaboratively with others.
To view our competency framework, please click the link below;
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: 09 Apr 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 16 Apr 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!