Chief Internal AuditorReporting Line: BARCC (Functionally) & CEO (Administratively)
Location: Head Office
The job holder is responsible for establishing the Internal Audit vision and leading the NMB internal audit function. He/she is specifically responsible for supporting the accomplishment of strategic objectives and helping ensure the established financial, operational and compliance practices, and related controls are designed and operating effectively.
The Internal Audit function is responsible for examining and evaluating business activities and related risks for the purpose of ensuring regulatory compliance, safeguarding the Bank’s assets and improving its systems of financial and operational controls.
The job holder will lead staff whose scope of activities will be comprehensive including providing value-added analysis on business operations and internal controls and ensure that all the audit work conforms to the Standards of Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
The job holder reports functionally to the Board Audit Risk and Compliance Committee (BARCC) and administratively to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Develops the audit vision that provides timely quality information with absolute integrity to business leaders.
- Sets the strategy for Internal Audit that is in alignment with NMB strategy and priorities.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships and communication with BARCC to ensure its concerns are addressed and expectations met; approves and oversees the reports to BARCC and senior management which address key business risks and control issues within the Bank.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with NMB leadership, providing guidance and/or consultation in the development of strategies to improve financial and operational performance of the Bank; acts as an early warning system for business and financial risks; supports business ethics and integrity initiatives.
- Leads the development and implementation of internal audit work plans and programs, managing the audit team in assisting the business to implement controls and mitigate risks
- Performs annual risk assessment during audit planning and develops a risk based annual audit plan for the approval of the Board Audit Committee
- Works with the business and other units to proactively improve the compliance environment including compliance with regulations and internal policy and procedures
- Stays abreast of the latest developments in ICT that impact the ICT risks in the bank.
- Drafts, review and update Internal Audit policies and manuals for Board’s approval.
- Evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls and the operating systems.
- Assesses the reliability of management information utilized in decision-making.
- Provides support in ensuring that audit activities are carried out as per the audit professional guidelines and other applicable guidelines
- Works closely with all internal audit staff to ensure that the audit and review evidence gathered is up to the required professional standards and guidelines.
- Coordinates management actions and responses in respect to audit findings and observations
- Oversees the execution of other tasks or special projects when required by management such as review of system implementations, due diligence reviews and internal investigations.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationship with external auditors to ensure effectiveness of service delivery and appropriate resolution of findings/issues identified
- Develops an organizational competency in the audit function by maintaining a high performing workforce, identifying and integrating the best practices, technologies and resource configuration.
- Leads selection process on external auditor
- Stakeholder management with key regulators
- Achieve annual goals and budget targets by effectively managing resources and stakeholder requirements
Knowledge and Skills
- Impeccable integrity
- ICT audit skills
- Data and data analytics skills
- Investigative skills
- Eye for detail in checks and balances, rules and processes, risk and governance
- Multi stakeholder management and engagement
- Passion for internal audit, current state and future developments
- Inspirational Leadership: getting people to follow you
- Influence: persuading and influencing stakeholders
- Direction: providing vision and direction
- Business Judgement: showing commercial/business acumen
- Competitive Edge: driving change and innovation
- Building talent: building capability for competitive advantage
- People Potential: adapting to complex and changing interpersonal demands
- Motivational Potential: adapting personal drive and focus to achieve in changing context.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Finance or related field gained from a recognized higher learning institution. MBA will be an added advantage.
- Accounting certification (Either CPA, ACCA or equivalent) is required
- Membership of accounting professional body is required
- Information Systems Auditing Certification (CISA) is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant audit experience
- Proven track record of audit or accounting in banking or a leading audit firm.
NMB Bank Plc is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 14 working days of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
“NMB Bank Plc does not charge any fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it”.
Application deadline: 24th April 2021