Deadline: April 30, 2021
Applications for the WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Youth Award 2021 are now open. The WIN WIN Youth Award is an international award that aims to empower and reward young people who play an active role in the creation of a more sustainable future.
The WIN WIN Youth Award is a part of the WIN WIN-organisation. Since 2000 it has presented one of the world’s leading sustainability awards, the WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award. Previous winners of the WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award include Gro Harlem Brundtland, Al Gore and Kofi Annan.
Theme 2021: Anti-Corruption
Around the world, corruption is one of the biggest obstacles to sustainable development. Corruption can be defined as the abuse of entrusted power for private gain and occurs in many ways – including government employees stuffing their own pockets with money set aside for environmental and sustainability projects and the bribing of state officials to get around legal Restrictions. Corruption may also facilitate criminal enterprise such as drug trafficking, money laundering, and human trafficking, though it is far from restricted to these activities.
The scientific community and organisations such as the UN and the World Bank agree that the costs to society of the rampant corruption around the world are enormous. For example, Interpol recently estimated that natural resources worth at least 100 billion US dollars are lost every year due to corruption-related activities. Yet this is just the tip of the iceberg – the total costs to society and the world are much higher. Thus, successful sustainable development at a global scale will require focused efforts to combat corruption.
The winner of the WIN WIN Youth Award will receive SEK 50,000 at the WIN WIN Award ceremony on October 21 in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Open to individuals, organisations and movements from all over the world;
- Applicants/nominees must be between the ages of 13 and 29;
- Applicants should present a recent or ongoing project/work/initiative linked to the theme 2021: anti-corruption.
To be eligible for the WIN WIN Youth Award 2021, applicants are required to satisfy minimum three of the following criteria:
- Impact: The project/initiative has had a positive contribution to the work against corruption.
- Holistic approach: The project/initiative should strive to take environmental, social and economic aspects into account.
- Mobilization: The project/initiative has brought people together.
- Innovation: The project/initiative is new and innovative in its character.
- Scale: The project/initiative has the potential for replication and scaling up.
- Raise awareness: The project/initiative has contributed to raise awareness and disseminate knowledge about corruption.
- You can apply with a project of your own or nominate a candidate.
- The application/nomination must include the following information:
- Name, age, e-mail and country.
- Description of the project / work / initiative answering the following questions:
- What kind of project? Where? For how long? For whom?
- What kind of impact? How does it relate to the theme biodiversity?
- Motivation why the project/work/initiative should receive the award.
For more information, visit WIN WIN Youth Award.